Saturday, June 9, 2012

Prometheus Unrisen

God knows I wanted to love, love, love this movie. All I wanted was a sense of wonder, a few sacred fleeting moments of complete and utter bedazzlement, the ability to temporarily lose myself in the glory of its vision and imagination. That's what I got from classics like: 2001, Terminator 2, the original Matrix- not to mention Forbidden Planet and The Day The Earth Stood Still of the '50s, and the original Frankenstein and its matrimonial sequel. I would've even settled for the cheap thrills aplenty and all out claustrophobic paranoia of John Carpenter's The Thing.

Alas, what I got instead was the Obama version of sci-fi cinema- an ever so alluring trailer package of promise writ large cleverly disguising a less than 3D reality of mediocre retreads and redundancy. No wonder, no suspense, no real vision of any lasting consequence whatsoever...

No comments: