Monday, November 21, 2011

I Pledge Not To Shop At Amazon...


I've avoided this long enough- I've got very few pennies these days, can hardly buy books... forget equipment. But it's time I put them where my mouth is and tell Amazon to do the same thing they do to their workers. I just ordered Vivian Maier's book as a birthday present to myself from Barnes & Noble for just a couple of bucks more, and hope you also find suitable alternatives, incl your neighborhood bookstore (for those of you who can afford it).

I think it would be great if anyone out there would like to get together and form some kind of united photo book buyers' front to better send the message (strength in #'s, ya know).  Please, let me know...

At the very least- please, sign and take the pledge below...
Despite thousands of customers raising hell, Amazon.com hasn't addressed the core problems underlying the shameful working conditions at its warehouses.Warehouse employees in Breinigsville, PA, have been working on their hands and knees at a frantic pace, enduring the pain because they're afraid of losing their jobs.1I admit I've relied on Amazon for a lot of my shopping. But now I know that Amazon's great deals and convenience come at the expense of its workers.That's why this holiday, I'm personally not doing any of my shopping with Amazon, and I hope you'll join me.
Like most retailers, Amazon depends on holiday shopping for a large percentage of its profit.2 During the biggest retail season of the year, the company won't want to risk losing customers – which means right now is our best opportunity to make a difference for its warehouse workers. Amazon is a $100 billion corporate giant3 known for its innovation – but mistreating workers is hardly cutting edge. Amazon has more than the means necessary to be a hugely profitable company without putting workers' health and well-being at risk. Amazon's workers deserve better. And as customers, we can demand better.
I emailed you a few weeks ago about how Amazon.com had been forcing employees to work in sweatshop conditions, with temperatures so high that Amazon kept ambulances parked outside to carry sick workers out on stretchers.Thanks to public attention and our collective outrage, Amazon is now planning to install air conditioners in its warehouses,4 but the company hasn't bothered to address other problems that are just as serious. Amazon is still continuing to rely on temporary employees who are forced to work at exhausting, brutal speeds – just because it's cheaper. One temporary worker "...was expected to pick 1,200 items in a 10-hour shift, or one item every 30 seconds."5 Unfortunately, it's much harder for temporary workers to organize for better working conditions, and that's why we've got to step up and demand change.
Send a message to Amazon and make a difference for these workers. Pledge not to shop at Amazon this holiday season.
Thanks for your commitment to workers' rights.
Sincerely,
Liz, Hilary, Beth, Zoe, Michael, and the American Rights at Work team

No comments: