Thursday, December 10, 2009

The 2009 Bamako African Photography Biennial


Photo: Arwa Abouon

Thanks to John Edwin Mason and Peter Brook for turning me on to The 2009 Bamako African Photography Biennial showcased on Qiana Mestrich's Dodge & Burn blog. I've never seen, heard or read anything about this biennial anywhere at anytime (although it should be noted that I did find some mention at PDN, although as a nonsubscriber I can't access it). Except for Fazal Sheikh and Jodi Beiber, I was unfamiliar with the photographers listed (who represent a variety of disciplines and approaches), so it was great going through and coming up with some finds- particularly Yo-Yo Gonthier's Overseas Monuments, Memories of Colonialism...




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stan

Geroge Osodi's work stood out for me. He had a couple of weak projects but his 'Oil Rich Niger Delta' series is very strong in the way he has good portraits between the images of pipes and sludge.

http://georgeosodi.co.uk/Portfolio/Pages/OIL_RICH_NIGER_DELTA_2003-2007.html

Patrizia Guerresi Maimouma's fashion work is striking.

http://www.photo.fr/blog/620-Patrizia-Guerresi-Maimouna-The-Geant-Room.html