Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Blurb of it all ...

Finally got to look at a bunch of Blurb books the other night in decent light, and as forewarned, was less than enthused by the quality- which in a way is good since I could never afford all the books I would've wanted. The reproductions are iffy- had I first been exposed to the work of my most recent favorite photographer via his Blurb book, I wouldn't have looked twice. And doubletruck images in some of the paperbacks could not be opened anywhere near enough to appreciate the actual image without wrecking the binding. That said, Beth Dow certainly managed to put out a quality product with In The Garden- get what ya pay for, I guess. And, as previously pointed out, hey- it is what it is, not your ultimate dream book legacy, but more the "this is what I aspire to" promotional vehicle. Nevertheless, I was hoping to check out: NIMBY (Not in My Back Yard) by Ryan Zoghlin, as well as American Histories By Joshua Dudley Greer- they just weren't there...

I'm sure if I still lived in NYC there would be a ton of other books to add to my ridiculously early Holiday Book Wish List which I've cut down to four must have staples: the aforementioned In The Garden, two phenomenal portraiture classics by Peter Feldstein (The Oxford Project) and Living With War by Judith Joy Ross, and then there's the one guilty pleasure- Phillip Toledano's Phone Sex.

No comments: