Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Dreaming To Buy...

The recent camera countdown on TOP got me to thinking what I'd like to get somewhere down the road to replace my aging "kit" (first time I've ever actually used that term, I swear)- a Nikon F100, N80, 20mm, 16mm FF fish eye, 20-35mm zoom, and Widelux. At first I was going to write about what I could possibly afford, but that would be a depressingly short post- so I'll just fantasize away...

Recently, I held a Nikon D700, the FF sensor camera I've long awaited so I could use my Nikkor glass uncropped and finally enter the digital era. Alas, there was no spark- and good thing too since I can't afford the damn thing anyway. A very capable tool (no doubt), it's still one butt ugly digital recording device. What I'd really like is a stripped down, smaller, cheaper, FF version (not a still more expensive D700x)- highly unlikely due to the plethora of Nikon's cheaper, smaller sensor models. So what out there excites me?Well, I'd love to "downsize" in the future- if I'm not going to have the technical convenience of digital, I'll settle for the practical convenience of increased portability. A Bessa R4M would do nicely; sleek, small, relatively cheap with a built in viewfinder for those 21 and 28mm dime sized lenses- I could live out my remaining years in classic film camera, retro cool! Of course, I'd also be sacrificing versatility- won't be able to compose as accurately, won't be able to come in as close, and won't be able to use a trusty FF fish eye when all else fails. But my shoulder and back would adore me! Did I mention just how damn cool it looks?
Or maybe I'll just get one of these rarer, used Plaubel Makina W67 beauties and just forget about other lenses completely! Sharp 55mm lens (28mm equivalent- 35mm format), great quality format, and if it or my trusty W8 Widelux (yes, I'm keeping that) can't handle the situation-- I just keep walking... Sweet.
And what about one of these Olympus 620 cuties? Not only is it small, it also has something that every "serious" digital camera should have standard- multiple "formats." That's a lot more of a godsend to photographers than video! Great having the option to compose square- but how is it looking out that tiny viewfinder?
Then again, maybe a Samsung NX (or equivalent) is in my future- also highly portable, cute, digital and very attractive if accompanied by a WA zoom. But how does the world look through an electronic viewfinder? I just can't get serious composing through that back window viewing thingie. But then, haven't large format photographers been doing it for centuries- and upside down at that!Every possibility has its distinct advantages and limitations, but one of these d... years, I'll finally make my move- or not. And while I'm fantasizing, I'll take one of these to print up all my neat new work, and one of these to make it easier. And don't bother looking for me, cause I'll be scouting out new shooting locations in one of these...

2 comments:

Tom White said...

Imagine the cupboards full of equipment one could have if money was no object... What do I feel like shooting with today?

Incidentally, those voightlander cameras and lenses are great. I have their 40mm F1.4 S.C. Lens attached to my Leica more often than not and I wouldn't trade it for a summilux any day of the week - except perhaps to sell the thing and buy back the voightlander lens..

Stan B. said...

Hhhmmm-- what medium, what format, what cupboard...

Back to reality, my heart says Voigtlander- retro, small and chic (yet bucks the haute couture of Leica)! But my primitive reptilian brain whispers... digital plastic wonder.