Wednesday, August 21, 2013

In Xanadu


Photos: Matt Slaby

Drug addiction, its causes, and effects have been a steady source of photographic exploration. I don't find this series by Matt Slaby as compelling as it should be (and probably is), and I tend to love diptychs such as these that incorporate self narratives. But in this case I find myself wanting more than what seems just a quick one-two combination. And I strongly suspect (as alluded to several times previously) that what is actually missing is no less than the power that the photos themselves can invoke in the viewer, particularly from what seem like very evocative portraits- unfortunately reduced to the size of near postage stamps in this online presentation. In other words, can't rightly judge what I can't rightly see...

No comments: