Monday, February 4, 2013

Tilted Horizons And Antiquated Style

 8.
Great style, but I’d like something that ties the photos together that goes beyond styling–not necessarily a coherent narrative, but something that makes the images somehow build on each other. But I do love the mood of these, the antiquated feel. This photographer is obviously skillful. Though I also don’t get the crooked shots employed in a few of these–I’m not getting how they benefit the composition.



Antiquated. Well, I've definitely been called worse- a lot worse. It's also reported that I got style and skill. The latter two did naught to save me however as I went down in the first round of judging in the Canteen competition. I thought the photographs I submitted worked and interacted quite strongly together, obviously the judges thought otherwise and saw them as single, unrelated images, which automatically puts you at considerable disadvantage. Fair enough, I guess...

The crooked shots criticism however is, if anything- antiquated. I mean, geez, tilted horizon lines are at least as old as old man Winogrand himself! Are they necessary? Well, when they help create a composition that brings the picture to life... yes! Used with discretion, it's as valid a technique as any other compositional tool. You'd think any obviously skilled photographer, with style, would know that...


Photo: Gary Winogrand (on the straight and narrow)


Photo: Gary Winogrand (listing into photographic history)

2 comments:

Eric Rose said...

Not a little bitter are we :)

Stan B. said...

Honestly... bitter no, but even though I didn't go into this expecting to win- you can't help but feel... disappointed.

I got two more entries this year, if I don't get a bite in those two- a bit bitter is about right...

One small solace- I started my portrait project and aced my first one- a very important, albeit very small step of (hopefully) many more to follow...