Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Novacaine and Nikon


Finally- my red dot special!!! Show me any used $500 digital body that looks this hot (doesn't take a bad picture either).

I've had a chronic, festering near ER level of GAS building up over the past several years. The Digital Realm's recent introduction of cameras that actually peak my interest had only exacerbated the situation to near hysterical proportions. Unfortunately, pretty much all of what I so desperately desire (not necessarily need) is prohibitively expensive, and each comes with its own particular drawback. I'd love to have a film Leica M and a couple of cool ass, dime sized lenses- unfortunately, not only (still) expensive, but since I use a 20mm 90% of the time, the viewfinder (in)accuracy and lack of close focusing would eventually drive me bonkers. The Bessa R4M seems a tad unreliable, especially with the overnight $300 price hike a couple of years back. The new Fujifilm X Pro-1 is super hot, even the new D800 seems desirable- except for their price tags. Other recent offerings (as I'm sure more to follow) also come enchantingly close.

But the other day, returning from oral surgery with a head full of Novacaine, I lashed out at the gods in anger and frustration, unsheathed the plastic, and relieved this excruciating agony via eBay and one black Mint Cond. Nikon FM3A. Do I need it, no, can I afford it, no- but at $500 (almost half of what others were asking) I could no longer ignore the siren call of those slinky, low cut curves on that comely all metal body. Lighter than my F100, more robust and reliable than my everyday FG- it will make the perfect travel/vacation companion (for those leisurely European sojourns that... you guessed it-  I have long stopped being able to afford) along with a trusty 16, 20, & 28mm. Digital will just have to wait anew...

6 comments:

rlfsoso said...

Disclaimer first: I shoot primarily with Nikon F2 Photomic with a 1.4/50 (non-ai, full metal); a 2.8/135 (non-ai, full metal), a 2.0/35 (AIS) and a 3.5/28 (Ai'd, full metal)… my D70s is not getting at all much use, due to the limiting kit-lens. So I concur, a manual, full metal (ANALOG!) Nikon is of much much better use to me and definitely much better in reference to price and what one actually gets to get for this price. I just wonder about mating an AF-lens to a manual body, to me it always was to soft and squishy to focus.
Rolf

Eric Rose said...

Well I hope you feel better now. Gotta hate it when that pressure builds up to an explosive level. You should give an N90s a whirl. Awesome camera.

Stan B. said...

Hey, Rolf! Digital v Analog as far as economics is concerned has always dealt with how much one shoots- if you're a pro (or shooting daily like one), digital is the way to go. As for manual v AF lens focusing, you may be more attuned to it than I, since it has not been a major issue with me.

Stan B. said...

Eric, I'm sure that N90s is a capable performer- but just the thought of all that plastic kinda makes my skin crawl! I still got my F100 when I need all the bells and whistles, or to hit someone over the head with...

rlfsoso said...

Hey Stan, consider this: you get a professional analog body (and lenses) for a fraction of a comparable digital body (and compatible lenses) and that does not include costs for working with digital files and staying up to date (that is something I've heard pros complain about, the need to keep hardware in line with latest offers)… film costs are an issue but less than what one believes. Furthermore it does hinder one to burst shoot just away and then look for the few(?) good ones. I am not a pro and have to make do with a very much limited budget (appr. 100€/month for everything related to photography) and work a hybrid workflow, develop my b&w, scan them myself, but let others take care of the color stuff. Printing is an issue I might give this away for quality reasons. I would never have been able to afford anything proper (full frame) in digital and – I do feel much more at home using film (see shameless plug: http://rlfsoso.tumblr.com/ ) Rolf

Stan B. said...

Rolf- you're preaching to the choir, guy!