Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Goodbye, Yana!

One of my students died over the weekend. Unlike when I taught adolescents in inner city schools, it did not come by violence. In fact, she was approaching senior citizen status, and despite her disability/health issues- it comes as a shock nonetheless. You see, she could be quite the handful; and I didn't think I'd say this, but I miss her ranting and kvetching already. Did I mention she spoke only Russian? Yeah, I would've bitched plenty too (if I couldn't understand or be understood). Nevertheless, we somehow managed to communicate the basic necessities, including the fact that we both kinda liked each other.

I don't know how the plan works for people beset with intellectual and physical disabilities: I don't know how it works for any of us. But she will be missed, and I hope she enjoys her vodka and cigarettes up there- something she couldn't allow herself here.

No comments: