Saturday, July 12, 2014

Algorithm Madness!

It's bad enough that photos look different on each and every monitor in existence (and at every possible screen angle) as far as exposure and contrast is concerned, but what really drives me crazy is that after I struggle to get the contrast just right in Photoshop Elements, the contrast goes several grades down when viewed on Windows Organizer, back up when posted on Flickr, and of late- Blogger seems to soak up contrast like some kinda freakin' sponge (which was never the case before); needless to say- all on my home monitor. I've learned that how it appears on my organizer is how it most closely appears in print, but the rest of it is sheer, utter madness...

2 comments:

Eric Rose said...

The online photo and blogging sites use really nasty algorithms to crunch down the images. I use a Spider calibrator for my monitors and printer. Everything is setup for sRGB. From scan or digi file to print everythng is perfect. However to get things to look right on websites you would have to generate custom curves for each site you want to post on. The image might look like doodoo on your monitor but when it's uploaded the torture your images have to go through at the other end will bring it back to what you want. Well almost. I use PS so am not all that familiar with elements but I'm sure you can save these curves for future images. Does this make sense?

Stan B. said...

Makes sense, but one of Elements major failings is that it doesn't have a full featured Curves, only a very rudimentary set up.

I remember years back I imported a free, full featured Curves plug-in that worked just fine, except... and (you're gonna love this)- the image contrast in the plug-in would differ when displayed back in Elements...