Monday, December 19, 2011

Discretionary Evolution

I've been a really good boy resisting all the digital tools and toys out there this past decade. Truth is, I just haven't found them all that appealing- too small, too big, too plasticky, too expensive, and too damn fugly! Still, I suppose it's just a matter of time- much as I love film, I neither have the space for a darkroom, nor the money to rent one regularly. And I can think of better ways to spend my time than scanning and editing B+W negs. So this announcement has me anxious! I got the chance to see and handle a Fuji X100 (talk about an enthusiastic review!) while in NYC. It looks like a million w/lens shade (yes, I'm that shallow), very much satisfying my tactile/aesthetic needs- metal, retro, quiet, fast, and nicely sized and balanced. Extremely versatile, great image quality! Naturally, an even more advanced and comprehensive system this spring is of even greater interest, and that said, all I require are a couple of WA's or a compact zoom equivalent.

I've been biding my time since my needs are specific, my means very limited. It's something I enthusiastically look forward to, and absolutely dread (what if the B+W digital results just fall flat of the B+W aesthetics I relate to?). And, of course, the day I do buy it, a week later they'll come out with this- what I really want... Maybe.

And will the song of this Siren ever stop calling?

6 comments:

I HUSTLE AND OTHER THINGS said...

OMG! I'll be contentious for contentious sake, actually just kidding I won't waste anyones time; i understand the tedious scanning bit. I went the other extreme earlier this year and only make contact prints and don't like the tones from scans; contacts are actually really fast if you have a little system yada yada yada - yesterday I bought an Olympus Infinity Zoom 200 at a flea market for $1.00 - i need a longer lens hope it zooms;)

Have fun, i don't want to take away - best wishes, maybe its just the thing...

W.

Unknown said...

Do it, I have x100 and it's as good a quality as my Zeiss Ikon with 35mm f2 Zeiss lens... (but I still have both)

Stan B. said...

Hustle- Enjoy!

Tom- If the X100+ lives up to the hype this spring, I can see a lot of pros using it as a go to camera for short and long term PJ assignments. This one could have one hella long wait list...

Eric Rose said...

Save your pennies and get the NEX-7 from Sony. APS-C sensor, 24M bits and will take your old MF lenses. That's the one I am waiting for.

Stan B. said...

Eric- Technically, that camera makes a lotta sense. Aesthetically, not my cuppa tea. Should camera styling be of primary consideration when buying a photographic tool? No- but it is to me. I'm waiting on the Fuji...

Eric Rose said...

I have to admit the Fuji is sexy. But if I want to use a Leica I will just pull out either my M3 or M5.