Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Susan Bank- Campo Adentro

Susan Bank's Campo Adentro takes me back to a time when I was very young, spending time on my aunt's farm in the countryside of Puerto Rico. Childhood memories based purely on sensory experience: the smell of rain on open fields, the varied cackle of farm animals, the feel of the Caribbean breeze on one's skin, wooden walls and glassless windows, and of course, the jibaro music of the campesino. The innocence of childhood sensory experiences artists everywhere seek to recreate and reinstill in their work the rest of their lives.

There is a certain poverty here, but not of spirit. I don't mean to romanticize the lifestyle, only comment on how these photographs so accurately reflect and highlight the simple, lyrical joys and measures to be found in a life less modern (and I so love those chairs).

No comments: