Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Extreme Travel Photo Competition (A Proposal)

I was thinking of once in a lifetime places to photograph and experience, so I got to dreaming about a travel photo competition where top prize would not consist of some lame cruise or vacation resort, but more like an all expense paid trip that puts you in the driver's seat (make that the passenger's seat) of the ultimate road trip... Bolivia's Road of Death!

Here you have a place where people literally risk their lives simply to get from point A to point B on any given day, and they're not even in a war zone! Not to say that it doesn't exist, but I have yet to see the quintessential photo essay documenting this infamous sojourn. Regardless- I sure know I'd love to give it a shot! Personal risk? You bet (part of the challenge, part of the reward), and although not quite on the level of The Wages of Fear, we're still talking 2-300 deaths per year. Of course, with my luck, if such a competition actually existed, I'd probably take second prize- a lame vacation cruise... from which I'd probably drown in drunken boredom.

No comments: