Friday, December 21, 2012

Movin' On...


The Badlands, SD

Dang!!! Seems the kid can't get accepted even in the local group show. Submitted a half dozen scans of what I thought were some pretty decent images that fit the theme rather well. There must be some truly stellar, drop dead gorgeous, ground breaking work they're gonna be hanging... Anxious to see it myself!

A slap in the face is hard enough to take when you're young and got your whole life ahead of you (to be abused and rejected ad infinitum-- I mean to learn and grow from our mistakes). You shake your head, keep moving and laugh the shit off...

Besides, look what can happen when one is not only left to one's own devices, but actually encouraged! Wouldn't wish it on anyone, anywhere! I mean, sure you get to make a whole lotta money, fuck whoever and be the youngest artist ever to solo at the Whitney... A chilling indictment, is it not?

On the bright side- least I don't have to spend money on prints and mats I can't afford (though after all that editing work, think I'll ask Uncle AMEX for a pair of 16X20 inkjets as a small consolation prize for Christmas). Anyway, here's all six rejects I submitted, and judges be damned- I don't think they look half bad...

Williamsburg, Brooklyn



Crissy Field, SF



Mt. Rushmore, SD



Mountain City, Nevada



Greenpoint, Brooklyn

4 comments:

Eric Rose said...

great shots Stan. What was the theme?

Stan B. said...

Thanks, Eric.

"photography that depict images of escape and escapism. When you step away from your day-to-day, where do you go? Where do you escape or where do you dream of escaping? It could be somewhere just around the corner, or beyond the city limits. You might instead escape to a fantastical place that manifests in your mind or in virtual space. We’re interested in knowing where you go, or would like to go, and are calling for images that will also inspire viewers to consider their own relationship with escapism."

Stephen Cysewski said...

No HDR, an obvious failure! You actually have to look at and think about the images.

MyVintageCameras said...

I've been away from the gallery/show submission scene for the past two years. Thinking about it again. But when I get turned down I generally feel that they have really poor taste! Especially after I see what was chosen.