Thursday, June 19, 2008

In the bag...

I don't usually discuss or endorse photo equipment here, a large part of the reason being that I own state of the art equipment circa 1995. But what to carry your equipment in- ahh, that's a different story. Unlike my latter NYC days, I usually bike my way around San Francisco, and that requires a backpack should I choose to lug my camera equipment. For those occasions, I use a Lowepro Micro-Trekker 200, a nice, portable solution for taking everything I'm willing to carry on wheels (or on foot for that matter)!

But backpacks, ever convenient as they are to transport your goods about, are absolutely useless for actual in street, on location shooting. You have to set the whole damn package down somewhere (preferably on the table you brought with you) just to get the item(s) of choice out safely, or risk having everything fall out and crash unto the sidewalk. And I can't say I'm really sold on the new twist and slide part shoulder bag, part backpack hybrid mutants that are also part nuisance, and all ugly.

The Domke F-3X shoulder bag
had served me well for many a year, but I was curious if modern technology hadn't come up with something to replace that venerable ol' cinder block of a camera bag (stick your equipment in one, and that's what you got thumping against ya). Enter the Crumpler $6 Million Bag! The black model (returned their tan version because of its unimaginably vile, lime green interior) has brown siding (described for some reason as gun metal gray- definite problem with their color perception) and a (pleasing) tan interior. The feel of this bag can almost be described as plush, with its generous padding, custom velcro dividers, internal pockets, and sides that ingeniously fold inwards to protect contents from the elements. This bag is roomy enough to carry everything I'm willing to lug about on a day's outing, including: my SLR, a couple of lenses, strobe, Widelux F8, film, and accessories (ie- most everything I fit in the 200 above). I really do love the damn thing- only problem, these days can't afford to take her anywhere.

And although it also comes with a very usable shoulder pad, I heartily recommend springing for a Manhattan Portage Shoulder Pad 1001- comfortable, handsome and sturdy, but inobtrusive!

No comments: