Sunday, January 24, 2016

The Analog Seasonal Blues!!!

One of the things we’re sad about today is that Photographers don’t walk around with a camera all the time and photograph without a project.          -Richard Benson

Ain't that the truth...

Which brings me to the point, that every year at this time... I flat out freakin' panic! Like many a serious amateur, I'm fairly religious (yes, I'm usually packin', except at night, when I'm happy to say- fuck it!). Consummate weekend warrior, I also try to finagle whatever lunch and break period one can during the live long, work a day week. But November thru February are the pits. Go home from work in the dark, wake up "late" on weekends at 9, have a lazy breakfast on the computer, household chores for a few minutes, and its 2 'oclock- 2 hrs before it's dark, and considerably less should you happen to engage in an errand or two....

This is when I grow desperately jealous of my digital brethren, all they need do is raise their ISO setting- easy peasy! So my analog only will frays and goes fickle, my eyes start to stray and wander as to what it would be like to own a brand spanking new X70, or (considerably more feasible) how about a used GR?!? Just point them things anywhere, anytime- don't even have to look! Every winter solstice I persevere through this, and even after purchasing a top of the line XT1 last summer (and selling it within a month), I still wonder if I could better endure these dark seasonal passages if only I had a little digital something, something- anything to raise my hopes and ISO...

Honestly, not much going in the winter months unless you're into winter sports or snowy scenics. People don dark formless clothing, moving about from one indoor place to another; the photo ops they help create in the casual summer months are noticeably absent- how many all time, memorable photographs can you remember with knee high, pee stained snow banks in the background?

So why sweat it at all? Soon the light returns...

This baby still looks like what a digital 21st century camera (from the future) should look like!

2 comments:

Eric Rose said...

I have a GX1 and I love it. Stan, you would hate it, don't even try. The GX1 with a 20mm f1.7 fits perfectly into my go everywhere bag.

Stan B. said...

I'll be honest- the major reason the set up above appeals to me so... is simply because it looks so freaking COOL- kinda like a poor man's Leica from 2050 (and it can be had rather cheaply). I'd get it with a 14mm- but yeah, I'd probably end up selling it in a coupla months for lack of use due to all the reasons I've so often stated, and any you may care to add...