Thursday, December 26, 2013

The Best Of Times, The...

Been looking back, and it's been quite the year! And as I prepare a few scans for my very first rejection of the brand new year (hope springs eternal), I took some time to look over my favorite books of 2013. Fortunately, there are so many goddamn photography books being made now, self published and otherwise- many of them ridiculously good! But unless you're someway, somehow one of the blessed few, most are well out of our physical/geographical reach (unless ya got the bucks)- otherwise, one must settle for occasional glimpses on these here internets. 

Have you seen... well, uh, I, yeah, saw bits and pieces of lo res reproductions online, and read the reviews. It's uh... really, really good, so I am led to believe...

I was however, lucky to obtain the following:
  1. Orchard Beach by Wayne Lawrence- just got it for Christmas, and it's even better than I expected, why this guy's name isn't an automatic mention when photographic portraitists of this century are discussed is... well, don't get me started.
  2. She Dances on Jackson by Vanessa Winship- America The Great, the grand decline in all its B&W melancholy.
  3. The Landscape Of Murder by Antonio Olmos- on order, and can't wait...
  4. Time And Space On The Lower East Side by Brian Rose- truth be told, haven't been able to shell out the buckaroos for this one, quite as of yet...

2 comments:

Eric Rose said...

How much are you short for the Time and Space book? Maybe we, your regular readers could take up a collection to make it happen.

Stan B. said...

Eric- very kind & much appreciated...
I'll get around to it, a matter of prioritizing as they say. When I think of the people who really go without- this is a luxury, not a need. Thanks, my friend.

Besides, gotta really good feeling about that MacArthur thing next year!