Thursday, November 18, 2010

Deep Sleep

Photo: Vanessa Winship

I never heard of online photo mag Deep Sleep until I received their email, and the current issue is well worth a look, if only to reacquaint oneself with Vanessa Winship. Much as I like her portraits, it's her reportage that never loses it for me. This is the kind of photography that has always inspired me, not because it's "street photography" (hell, it's more landscape than anything), but because it's every bit as mystical, gritty and beautiful as the land and culture she immortalizes. And she accomplishes that magical lyricism not with wall sized prints, Hollywood sized production ensembles or the very latest technological innovations, but with the most basic of photographic tools- yesterday's hand held film camera, and a remarkably astute and attuned eye.

 Photo: Vanessa Winship

No comments: